On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Toby Murray <toby.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Phil! Gold <phi...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> The wiki also explicitly says that you should use the two-character postal
>> abbreviation for the state the road is in, but that seems to have been
>> disregarded in states where a different prefix (like SR) is normally
>> used.  (To be fair, there's a lot of other stuff people have done with the
>> ref tags on state roads, including not having any network identifiers and
>> putting the number in parentheses.)
>
> I see at least one highway in Kansas has been tagged with "K-10" - I'm
> guessing most people would consider that flat out wrong?  :)
>
> I guess that is how people refer to it when speaking but I've been
> using ref tags like "KS 10"

There's been no standard way of tagging state highways since before I
joined at the beginning of this year. A few months ago I talked to
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/blackadder about getting a consensus
on one method, and the crux of the response was "If someone tags
something one way and someone else tags the same type of object
differently then that's fine.". If we can get consensus on one method,
I'm all for it. But the standardization should be done in a
semi-automated way to avoid errors.