* Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> [2010-07-18 18:53 -0400]:
> I'm not so sure we need to use relations. We can use the following
> procedure to generate the correct shields:
> 1. split the ref tag at semicolons and drop leading spaces

Yeah, that's not hard.

> 2. convert I *, US *, and CR/CH/CTH * to shields

So you'd suggest doing the Interstates, the US highway network, and county
roads, but not state roads?

> 3. remove other prefixes, and keep these and non-prefixed numbers in
> ovals (there's no reason we need to render the shapes used on signs,
> though Virginia and West Virginia may need special rules because their
> *secondary* (county-based) routes use circles)

Personally, I'd like to see each state's shields used on the map.  I
suppose there's the argument that someone from, say, Wisconsin might not
know what Georgia's shields look like, but I think it should be obvious
from context.

The problem with using refs to render state shields is that it can be
difficult to get the right shield.  Some states use the state abbreviation
in the road reference (so Maryland route 26 is generally written "MD 26"),
but a bunch just use SR (so "SR 10" could be in Alabama, California,
Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Maine, Nevada, Ohio, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia,
or Washington state route 10).  At least the route relations have the
state encoded specifically so the specific shield can be used.  I think
there's more than one that uses "SH", too, and so on.

> The main benefit of relations seems to be that the shields are
> generated not per way but per route, so four adjacent short ways will
> be treated as if they were combined. It may be harder to ensure that
> all shields on an overlap are displayed, however.

No harder than it is when using refs, at least with Mapnik.  You tell
mapnik, "use a minimum of this many pixels between repetitions of the same
shield, and a minimum of this many pixels between this shield and other
shields."  As long as there's room enough between repetitions, the
overlapping shields will fill in the space.

--- --
When people were in serious trouble, they went to a witch.  (Sometimes, of
course, to say, "please stop doing it.")
                       -- _Carpe Jugulum_, Terry Pratchett