On Sat, 31 Jul 2010, Val Kartchner wrote:

1) I agree with most of your proposal.
 a) Your proposal doesn't take into account cases where there is both a
    name and a numeric designation for a street.  An instance in Ogden,
    Utah is "Washington Boulevard" and its alias "400 East".

In both cases doesn't a directional prefix apply.

However, to avoid ambiguity with the "_prefix" tag. How about this rule. The "_prefix" and "_suffix" apply to all name tags. Hence if name_1 is "400 East" than name_1_prefix shall be "S", etc.

 b) In the example "700 East" that you give, wouldn't the official name
    be "700 East Street"?

Do you call you numbered streets "Street" in Ogden? I have never thought about it much but I would always say I lived on "700 South" not "700 South Street". It sounds odd to non-locals (try giving that address to someone in the east over the phone) but I don't think anyone really considers "Street" part of the name of numbered streets. Than again, I have only been living here for 6 years, so I will yield to someone who grew up the area.