On 31 Jul 2010, at 21:58 , Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010, Val Kartchner wrote:

>>> In both cases doesn't a directional prefix apply.
>>>
>>> However, to avoid ambiguity with the "_prefix" tag.  How about this rule.
>>> The "_prefix" and "_suffix" apply to all name tags.  Hence if name_1 is
>>> "400 East" than name_1_prefix shall be "S", etc.
>>
>> So, you're also proposing that the additional name(s) be placed in
>> "name_1", etc.
>
> No.  I'm saying _if_ the name is places in name_1 than use name_1_prefix, if
> it is placed in alt_name, use alt_name_prefix, etc.

alt_name has a specific meaning and shouldn't be used for this. also name_1,2 …
was used for Tiger with the same purpose as alt_name.
Now if you play around with prefeix, postfix, abbrev or expanded name it's
better to use a different tag osm strength is to make this easy. So no reason
to overload existing well defined tags with info which doesn't belong there and
creates even more confusion.