On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:49 AM, Toby Murray <toby.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How do you abbreviate Boulevard? Blvd or Bv? How about Parkway? Pkwy,
>> Pky, or Py? The same road (Central Florida Parkway) has all three on
>> signs near its west end.
> I'm not really speaking for/against abbreviations in general, just
> adding information. It would definitely be Pkwy and Blvd. The USPS has
> documented standards for prefixes, suffixes and any other fixes you
> may want. 208 pages worth:
> http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub28/pub28.pdf

That pretty much negates the reasoning that we should use
abbreviations because it's what's on the signs though. I don't have
any strong feelings on one side or the other, except that I am opposed
to an 'in-between' state of abbreviating some (street, avenue) and not
others (parkway, circle) because signs are inconsistent about the
latter.