On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:49 AM, Toby Murray <toby.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> How do you abbreviate Boulevard? Blvd or Bv? How about Parkway? Pkwy,
>>> Pky, or Py? The same road (Central Florida Parkway) has all three on
>>> signs near its west end.
>> I'm not really speaking for/against abbreviations in general, just
>> adding information. It would definitely be Pkwy and Blvd. The USPS has
>> documented standards for prefixes, suffixes and any other fixes you
>> may want. 208 pages worth:
>> http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub28/pub28.pdf
>
> That pretty much negates the reasoning that we should use
> abbreviations because it's what's on the signs though. I don't have
> any strong feelings on one side or the other, except that I am opposed
> to an 'in-between' state of abbreviating some (street, avenue) and not
> others (parkway, circle) because signs are inconsistent about the
> latter.

Inconsistent use on signs, one type of rendering, reinforces that we
should use the full name in the database.  Other types of rendering,
text to speech, Braille, map tiles, high resolution print, may rely on
the uniform and full name.  Or, at the discretion of that renderer may
choose to convert the long form to the short form of their choosing.

I see these abbreviation errors in other map products.  I have a
navigation device that announces County Road 33 as "Co-Road
Thirty-three"  Surely we can aspire to do better than propagating the
errors of other projects?