On 1/4/11 3:18 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
On 01/03/2011 10:08 AM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:

Also, is it now "correct" to not tag (network, ref) the individual ways that
are part of a route relation? What about name? Is it "correct" to remove
those existing tags from the ways (and ensure they are on the relation)? I'm
not talking about a large-scale bot update, but "as long as I'm editing them
for some other reason anyway".
No, it's not correct to remove refs from ways.
I really would like to hear wider input on this, still, as it really
doesn't make sense to waste the way's ref tag for refs that don't belong
to the way, but the route that uses the way...

rendering engines haven't, by and large, shifted over to using ref tags
on the relations. while i think they should, i also don't think we ought to
cause the massive level of breakage that would ensue if they just got
removed.

richard