On 01/04/2011 10:49 AM, Richard Weait wrote:
Then let me make this point absolutely clear.  Don't look at the
background layer.  It doesn't matter at all.  Look at the shield
overlay.  The shield overlay could be added to any rendering layer.

Not sure if you’re looking for commentary on the shield overlay in general, but it seems like it has some problems. Take a look at I-39/US-51 here[1]. Only one shield for I-39 until you scroll all the way south to Bloomington, IL.

I don’t know if that’s because it’s prioritizing US shields over interstate shields or what, but it should show both at equal frequency. It also seems like there are way too many US-51 shields.

I assume it’s not expected to display state routes, at least not yet.

I’d give the shields a black outline rather than putting them on a solid black box.

Other than that it looks great.

—Alex Mauer “hawke”

1. http://weait.com:8080/map/shield2.html?zoom=9&lat=44.90346&lon=-89.61928&layers=0BTT