On 5/27/2011 10:04 AM, Nathan Mills wrote:
On Fri, 27 May 2011 09:26:41 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:

No, trunk is also used for a major intercity highway that's not a
freeway. Take a look at the UK and their network of trunks.

I'm sorry, I thought I posted to talk-us. My mistake. ;)

Seems to me that trunk has no meaning if it is used in that way. In the
UK, roads are classified based on the national government's
classification of the roads (hence the confusing-to-us 'unclassified'
tag. Since we don't have a single overarching national road network like
that, I don't think that's a relevant model to use here.
How would you apply this argument to the use of primary to tertiary in the US?

> Generally
speaking, I think any divided and controlled access highway probably
ought to be tagged as a motorway barring specific local circumstances
that cause it to deserve a demotion and any divided, but merely limited
access and not fully controlled access, highway probably ought to be
tagged as trunk barring specific local circumstances.

The 'major intercity' road ought to be tagged as primary unless there's
a specific reason to upgrade, IMO. That leaves the data more useful to
end users.

Actually that leaves it less useful for users in cities, as then there are only two classifications for non-intercity highways, secondary and tertiary.

Also, I don't know how major a road between Dumas, TX and Texline, TX
really is. If it weren't a US highway, I'd probably demote it all the
way to secondary.

It's on the National Highway System, meaning the FHWA considers it to be a major road. It's probably the best route between Kansas City and Albuquerque.

Also note the proposed translation on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Functional_Classification_System , used by at least one mapper in Kansas. Principal arterials range from expressways to major two-lane intercity highways.