Richard Welty <rwe...@averillpark.net> writes:

> On 5/27/11 9:26 AM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> On 5/27/2011 12:32 AM, Nathan Mills wrote:
>>> Would I be correct in stating that tagging an undivided 2 lane (one lane
>>> in each direction) highways would be improper, even if a state calls the
>>> highway a "trunk" for planning purposes? Especially if it's in the
>>> middle of a town with a low speed limit. I understood trunk to be
>>> divided and limited access (but not fully grade-separated).
>>
>> No, trunk is also used for a major intercity highway that's not a
>> freeway. Take a look at the UK and their network of trunks.
>>
> and we have no functioning definition of what constitutes a major intercity
> highway in the US.
>
> which is to day, i don't agree with many of your upgrades, but i've chosen
> not to engage in an edit war in the map nor have i chosen to engage in
> flame wars on this list about it, but there is no consensus on what
> constitutes
> a trunk in the US, and i believe your position is an outlier.

Emphatically seconded.

I think it's clear that most of us think trunk is something that has
some aspects of divided, particularly high speed, limited access above
and beyond a normal two lane US highway.

I find the trunk designation useful in that it tells the map viewer that
the road is partway to feeling like an Interstate compared to feeling
like a US highway.   Marking roads as trunk when they aren't physically
superior isn't helpful.