On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 04:11:09PM -0600, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 12/21/2011 12:45 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > In California, carpool lanes are seperated by a painted median.
> > This is what's in dispute. Is the following a median or simply a lane
> > separator? http://www.scvresources.com/highways/118_hov_lane.jpg
>
> Are the HOV restrictions in effect at all times, or only for part of
> the day?  The HOV restrictions on inbound highways in Nashville, TN
> are only in effect for certain morning hours on weekdays (inbound
> rush hour), and those on outbound highways are only in effect for
> certain late-afternoon hours on weekdays (evening rush hour).  The
> rest of the time, the HOV lanes are treated as normal lanes.  If the
> HOV lane restrictions are not 24/7, I would class those as lane
> separators, not medians.  Also, if a vehicle with enough passengers
> is allowed to move into/out of the HOV lanes at any point, I would
> not classify the markings as a median, but only as a lane separator.

In California, most are 24/7.  When they're not, they're either closed
to all traffic and treated as dead space, or PSV-only outside HOV
hours.  All traffic is prohibited from making lane changes in areas
where the white-orange-orange lines are present, with the general
access lanes functionally being the right shoulder for HOV traffic,
and the HOV area treated as the left shoulder for general access
traffic.  Every 1-3 miles where lane changes are permitted, lane
changes in and out of the HOV area is permitted for traffic allowed in
that lane, no other locations.  These restrictions are strictly
enforced, as the difference in speed between the HOV lane and general
access is frequently in excess of 60 MPH during peak traffic periods
in sections where the HOV lane is isolated.