On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM, James Umbanhowar <jumba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 03, 2012 08:17:16 AM Phil! Gold wrote:
>> * Minh Nguyen <m...@1ec5.org> [2012-04-03 02:19 -0700]:
>>
>> > I'd prefer to see the shields strung out along the concurrency, with
>> > no spacing between each shield. That would be especially helpful
>> > where the concurrency's shields happen to appear near a junction.
>> > Google Maps does that, but they space the shields apart somewhat.
>>
>> This is something that would probably look nice, but is difficult
>> (possibly impossible) to do in Mapnik.  I'll see what I can do and how it
>> looks on the map.
>>

> I don't know if they use Mapnik, but I like the way Stamen places their
> shields along concurrencies.  e.g.
> http://maps.stamen.com/terrain/#15/39.7542/-86.0373

I don't know if it is Mapnik, but it behaves similarly.  Look to the
west a bit from your link.  It appears that shields are not strictly
ordered, so some can go missing from the display.  For example, the
Interstate shields are less-frequent at the link below.  Zoom in
another layer and the interstate shields are more-frequent, at the
expense of the others.

http://maps.stamen.com/terrain/#14/39.6996/-86.1647

That's cool, and it's nice that we have the choice now between
not-exactly-random-linear, or all-in-one-clustered.

I can imagine other options in future like:
- only render the most-important shield, but have it popup with the
cluster on hover
- make clusters smaller, and magnify on hover
- other cooler ideas that you come up with

Mapnik metawriters should make this possible right now if somebody
wants to write a little code to do it. :-)