If you've verified all of the tags on it from ODbL compatible sources (e.g.
a survey you did), you can add odbl=clean and the way will be kept. The
nodes may be deleted if they were created by a decliner. In this case what I
generally do is select all the dirty nodes in the way and delete them, then
re-trace the way.

If all blars did was split the way then the nodes will still be clean. If he
refined the geometry then the geometry will be reverted to what it was
before.

What I've been doing a lot of is going to a dirty way, deleting all the tags
and then copying all of the tags from CanVec (Canadian equivalent of TIGER,
but more reliable), pasting them to the way and adding odbl=clean. You have
to be careful that you don't remove other clean data (mainly cycle route
information here). To check that I open up the history (Ctrl-H) and see who
added it. Generally it's not a decliner, so I can keep the tag.