On 4/16/2012 11:04 PM, James Mast wrote:
I just saw this post on the rebuild list, so you guys might want to be a
tad careful when you're doing cleaning work by creating a new way and
keeping the old "tainted" nodes in it.

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/rebuild/2012-April/000206.html

Frederik is slightly exaggerating, in that it's OK to do so if all the contributors of any data you're keeping have agreed to the CT, even if you yourself have not surveyed or traced it. (Otherwise we'd have a major problem whenever a way is split.) In fact I believe Frederik has done this sort of copy-paste into a new object when the history of a relation has become too large.