On 7/19/12, Charlotte Wolter <techl...@techlady.com> wrote:
>          So, now, what can be done to fix it? Are there tools?

As previously mentioned, the best way is to actually visit these
places, take notes, and then use your favorite map editor to update
the map.

If you can't do that, or don't have time to do that, but want to work
on improving the map, you can still make the map better using
available information that has been approved for use in OSM.  This
technique is known as "armchair mapping."

Bing has made more easily available a lot of high quality aerial
photos of the world.  You can use these for images for drawing map
features such as roads, and also for aligning existing roads.

Once you have the roads traced in, various goverment agencies provide
public domain data that includes the road names.  The following page
shows instructions for making an overlay layer showing the names from
the TIGER 2011 dataset (public domain):

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_2011

This layer is just mostly transparent, but it shows the centerlines of
the roads from TIGER 2011 and has their abbreviated names printed next
to them.

Most of the map of the US was based on TIGER 2007, so I use this
sometimes when I notice roads on the images that aren't in the map and
I am not able to travel to the location I am looking at.

Before staring Armchair mapping, read the following disclaimer:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Armchair_mapping

Basically, aerial images can be out of date and/or mis-aligned (though
Bing is generally updated within 2 years and has decent alignment
(check other's uploaded GPS tracks)).  And check the history of what
is there in case a local mapper has made a more recent update to a
feature that might not be reflected in aerial images.  It's a good
idea to contact any local mappers before you make sweeping changes to
the area they are mapping in.

Peter