On Dec 16, 2012, at 8:32 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:

> OK this is plain awesome. Great work Mike.
>
> One note of caution though - the title may suggest that you can just
> go ahead and import away, but folks would still have to follow the
> import guidelines and contact the OSM community at large, come up with
> a solid proposal and discuss that, even if there is no local
> community. I know it says it on the tin, but it's kind of tucked away
> at the bottom.

You're right, I've emphasized that up near the top, thanks.

> Have you looked into full history planet parsing to get a fuller
> picture of editing history? I took a stab at full history user metrics
> some time ago using osmjs;
> https://github.com/mvexel/OSMQualityMetrics/blob/master/UserStats.js -
> this produces one set of metrics for the entire .osh file you feed it
> but it may prove useful for future work. I haven't touched this in a
> while but it should still work :/

I have downloaded a copy and given it a beginning look. I'm new to parsing
things of that magnitude; my first thought was to use the full history file for
creations/modifications/deletions on nodes and add that to what I'm doing
already for ways on the osm2pgsql tables. Does that sound reasonable?

I'll check out your parser; what kinds of metrics does it produce?

-mike.