On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 4:00 AM, <talk-us-requ...@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> But surely there must be something on the ground that tells you where
> you can go and where you can't? Else how would people have evaded being
> shot in pre-satnav times?

Actually, not. Sometimes there is a a 'No Trespass" or "No Hunting" sign.
But every local jurisdiction is different, and who does what where and when
can be a fairly complex situation, a combination of both statute
(laws) and custom
/ etiquette <http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/guide/access/streamAccess.html>. If
folks abuse the custom, it usually becomes statute. For instance, Montana
allows public right of way down and
along<http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/guide/access/streamAccess.html>most
flowing, non-intermittent waterways (below the high water line) for
recreational
purposes <http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/ethics/riverRecreation.html>. In
Washington State, similar rules apply to access along salt water, in the
intertidal zone. New York City has privately owned public
parks<http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/priv/priv.shtml>,
where there has been disputes between neighbors and corporations about
access times, activities permitted, etc.

The point being, is that every locale is going to have features (and
combinations of features) to give contest to some user's activity or use.
And for that individual or community of users, if that feature(s) can't be
added or isn't present, the map is 'broken'. If my purpose is to portray
kayaking or combing routes along the washing coast, the low and high water
line are critical - not having these simple pieces of information can
actually be dangerous to the person viewing the map, because of the nature
of the shoreline. If it's hiking / snow shoeing, while 10 ft contours would
be overkill, the 500ft, 1000ft, 1500ft, 2000ft, etc. are critical because
weather warnings are broadcast according to those levels. In the urban
areas of Seattle, major areas are referred to by which 'hill' they are on.

The first line in the OSM Wiki says *"Welcome to OpenStreetMap, the project
that creates and distributes free geographic data for the world. We started
it because most maps you think of as free actually have legal or technical
restrictions on their use, holding back people from using them in creative,
productive, or unexpected ways."*

Adapting the some parts of the map content local conditions would seem to
meet this philosophy, but I have been detecting a refrain that if it
doesn't fit some current  'x-y-z' tradition / theme, go do it 'elsewhere'.

Michael Patrick