I am very sympathetic to what I sense to be Jason's (and Michael's and
others') frustrations. It's quite clear there are a *very* large number of
imports that have contributed to the body of data that is OSM (Incomplete
list here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Import).

Hopefully, this frustration hasn't gone to waste. : ) I think this thread
has generated some thoughtful commentary (see: Ian's statements below & a
great email off-thread that Serge sent me) that I hope will be integrated
into DWG-sanctioned guidelines for imports. For those not on imports@, I've
sent a separate note to the DWG asking for clarification on where to look
for their guidelines.

- Jeff

--
Jeff Meyer