On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Richie Kennedy
<richiekenned...@gmail.com>wrote:

> In Kansas, Signs indicating access restrictions are posted on the on-ramps
> to interstates and some (but *not* all) non-interstate freeways. K-10, for
> instance, has posted access restrictions on the Douglas County segment, but
> not on the Johnson County segment. Both sections of K-10 in question,
> however, are clearly freeway, and properly tagged as "motorway" in OSM.

Except I-70 coming out of Colorado, they don't post it there.  I hear about
2 or 3 times a year about tourists riding from Colorado (which allows
bicycles on the interstate) getting cited or impounded a few miles into
Kansas before the first Kansas exit, despite the fact that there's no
warning or reason to expect that it's not open to bicycles at the last
Colorado exit or at the state line itself (seems like Kansas needs to ease
up and either talk to Colorado about putting up a BIKES MUST EXIT sign at
the last Colorado exit or do it themselves at the first Kansas exit, and
allow the reverse trip back to Colorado from that point).  But I digress...

> Back to the question at hand (how to treat super-two facilities): While
> KDOT *state* maps do not distinguish between 2-lane controlled access and
> non-controlled access facilities (and, since 2010, the same applies to
> non-interstate 4-lane facilities,) *county* level maps published after 2007
> do show controlled-access facilities, regardless of the number of lanes.
> Those county maps show US 169 between Chanute and Iola as a
> controlled-access facility. Thus, it is properly tagged as motorway under
> Chris's second suggestion ("If it has full access control, it's a motorway.
>  If not, it's not one.")

But that goes back to "are we trying to be consistent within OSM, or are we
trying to second guess the renderer to look like some other publisher's
map?"  Or to put it another way, "Why are we trying to tag for the renderer
in Kansas?"