> From: lordsu...@gmail.com
> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 03:27:21 -0500
> To: marti...@telenav.com
> > CC: krist...@telenav.com; talk-us@openstreetmap.org; h...@telenav.cn;
> > vladim...@telenav.com; chr...@telenav.com
> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Separate relations for each direction of US & State
> highways.
>
> The only problem I can anticipate with this tagging scheme is that it's
> possible some editors don't understand anything other than
> left/right/forward/backward (I think), we could end up in data loss
> situations fairly easily.

> > For example: way X pointing east is marked in relation Y as "east"
> > (presumably we could assume that "east" = forward and the opposite cardinal
> > direction "west" is backward). User reverses way X. Now the relation role
> > is potentially backward.  JOSM seems to understand at least north/south and
> > east/west and offers to fix it (see
> > http://josm.openstreetmap.de/browser/josm/trunk/src/org/openstreetmap/josm/corrector/ReverseWayTagCorrector.java);
> >  no idea if iD or Potlatch do.

> > We'd also need to make the validation tools smarter to recognize lossage
> > (for example, realizing that the route is unbroken only if the chain of
> > role tags once you account for the directions of the underlying ways is
> > monotonic),

> > > Chris> --
> Chris Lawrence <lordsu...@gmail.com>
>
> Website: http://www.cnlawrence.com/

However Chris, there is a pretty big problem that JOSM has with cardinal
directions, and it has to do with the relation analysis.  We need JOSM to be
able to split the "lines" with cardinal roles when looking at a relation just
like how it does it currently with the roles "forward/backward" [1].   That
would be a major step forward it making sure relations have no gaps if/when we
fully go cardinal from forward/backward.

If you want to see an example, download US-30's WV relation [2] into JOSM and
change the cardinal roles all back to "forward".  You can then see the value of
those splits in relation analysis inside of JOSM that the roles
forward/backward have in making sure the relation has no gaps.

-James

[1] - https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/5109#comment:18
[2] - http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1593699