Matijn, James,

Like Saikrishna, I am in favor of using the colon or pipe symbol rather
than the semi-colon, for reasons that Martijn originally outlined. However,
Martijn then changed his mind, which to my thinking seems a pity.  Is there
any chance that you could be persuaded to change it back, Martijn?  A colon
or a pipe symbol would make west:unsigned look like one item in a list to
me, which would be handy as I'm going to return to my proposal below that
on single carriageway roads we need to show the cardinal direction of OSM
forward AND also OSM backward.  This would create a list that could say
east:unsigned;west:unsigned. Or it could say east|unsigned;west|unsigned.
Personally I don't care which.  But we can't use the semi-colon for both
functions. I will explain why posting only OSM forward as "east" (say) can
be an oversimplification further down below.  But first, why the colon or
pipe symbol?

My reasons are partly as you originally indicated, Martijn.  Primarily, to
me, a semi-colon is used in a list, such as for example the various ref
tags that represent the routes that are "double banded" or "multi-banded"
along a way. State DOTs often use the term "double banded" for what OSM
mappers call "overlaps", in which a way carries (say) I 80;US 6 (e.g., in
Iowa) or I 184;US 20;US 26 (e.g., in Boise, Idaho).  Now, I think I have
seen Martijn (or someone) argue that the ref tag has no purpose on the way,
and should be limited to the relation, but I don't agree.  In my firm's
software products, made for state DOTs and public 511 traveler info
systems, the first-posted route is the one the authorities (e.g., DOT;
police) consider to be definitive for that way, in that it defines mile
markers (*pointes kilometriques* in the metric world) and exit numbers, and
is used by police and DOTs to define the route designator of the locations
of crashes, etc.  (Geolocation alone does not cover route designation near
overpasses, or travel direction affected.)  OSM mappers have suggested that
these refs should be listed in highest system, lowest number order, such as
I 35;I 80 or I 184;US 20;US 26, and in an ideal world DOTs would do this
too; but they do not always follow this logical rule. The I 80;I 35 Des
Moines northern and western bypass is posted I 80 first (I 80 determining
the exit numbers and milepoints), and I changed all the ref tags
accordingly from I 35;I 80 to I 80;I 35.  I'm not sure how we would know
which route is first-posted and therefore definitive if we did not have an
ordered list in each way's ref tag, and instead used only relations.

So my vote is for colons or pipe symbols to create compound directions like
east:unsigned or east|unsigned.  Perhaps the pipe symbol is better as it's
more clearly human-read as being different from the semi-colon that I've
proposed should be used to list the direction of OSM forward and then the
direction of OSM backward on single carriageway roads.  Note that my
proposed use of the semi-colon is as part of an ordered list, in that the
order of the ref tag values should match the order of the shields mounted
on a vertical post, or the left-right order where shields appear on DOTs'
large green signs. (Who would guess that 40 years ago I occasionally
designed similar signs in the UK as a junior traffic engineer working for a
county council? "Bolton A 575 Right Lane.")  Back to the present day. I
80;I 35 is two data values sequentially listed, while east|unsigned is a
single logical data value.

Now why do I believe that we need to show the posted direction of a single
carriageway road for both OSM forward and also for OSM backward?  My
original reason is that beltways in many states are posted east-west along
their northern and southern perimeters, and north-south along their eastern
and western perimeters.  Ignore Washington DC's "Inner Loop", etc.  I first
encountered this in Minnesota where the Twin Cities beltway (I 494 and I
694) is posted east-west along the south side past the Mall of America, MSP
airport and Eagan, and north-south along its eastern and western sides. I
believe the north side is again posted east-west.  I checked this elsewhere
last week in Scottsdale, AZ, where Loop 101 is posted north-south through
the Native American reservation (Pima Freeway) yet my Volvo RDS-TMC traffic
info system was reporting stopped traffic eastbound on Loop 101 a few miles
further north where it crosses AZ 51 and Scottsdale Road along the northern
side of the loop.  Now it would be nice to think that ADOT and Mn/DOT
always change the posting for both directions at the same OSM node/point,
but I know for a fact that this is not always so.  We have found cases
where a highway can be posted north in one direction and east in the other.

You may well observe that most US beltways are dual carriageways, and for
large cities you'd be exactly right. So if we use a different relation for
each direction it's not an issue? True. But there are still some single or
mixed single/dual carriageway bypasses / ring roads / beltways in the US,
and even more so in other parts of the Americas (Canada; Central and South
America) where I believe that AASHTO signing practices are widely emulated.
I was in Argentina three years ago at the end of the Pan American Highway
in Tierra del Fuego and I'm pretty sure that I saw RN 3 plated with "norte"
(there is no "sur" until Buenos Aires extends RN 3 onto the Antarctic
Peninsula).  Its not hard to find pictures of the sign nearby that says
Alaska 17,848 kilometers.  When I lived in Leesburg, VA, in the late 1980s,
the US 15 and VA 7 bypass was single carriageway, and (though now dual)
still run in a square around 3 sides of the town. I believe that even the
US must still have single carriageway bypasses and ring roads in deeply
rural areas, and that somewhere on a single carraigeway, east-west must
switch to north-south in a way that isn't neat and tidy.

Too unusual to worry about?  Perhaps. But for those of you who who care
about "east|unsigned", can you imagine a state posting "east|unsigned;west"
or "north|unsigned";south" on a single carriageway rural state highway?  I
sure can. State maintenance folks are human, and consistency is a goal
never wholly achieved.

I also advocate using roles of "north;south" on single carriageway roads
because mixed single/dual roads are common in rural America, and they are
very hard to understand (humans again) if you post the dual ways "north"
and "south" and the single carriageway ways just "north" or "south"
depending on the orientation of the ways' OSM forward.  It is hell to check
when you do this, especially in iD or Potlach.  JOSM makes relations visual
(or at least it will when cardinal directions are treated like forward and
backward) and after a JOSM sort I can now fill in "north", "south",
"north;south" and "south;north" just by staring intently at the JOSM line
and arrow diagram (at least I can in the armchair sense; finding what the
road crew actually signed would take a great deal longer).  If you use
"north;south" on single carriageways, the single carriageways leap out at
you when you check the relation manually.  If you use "north" and "south"
to mean very different things on single carriageway ways than on dual
carriageway ways, it is very hard to see whether it makes any sense or not.
 Not all mappers can use JOSM (I couldn't until I spent the last 3 weeks
coding various mixed single/dual carriageways in ID, MN and San Diego
County instead of arguing this from common sense alone) and in iD/Potlach
it's a whole lot easier to see what is happening if you code single
carriageways to reflect each of the two travel directions that they carry.

Here I rest my case for the use of the pipe character for "east|unsigned"
and the semi colon for "east;west" or "east|unsigned;west|unsigned" on
single carriageways.  Martijn, can I be allowed to change the wiki page
once again while overeating this Christmas, should I have the time?  It
could be my present to myself ...

Peter Davies
Castle Rock Associates,
Portland, OR