*From a legal view*: in California the municipality decides what to call
itself.

*From a mapping view*: we should map what's verifiable.  If the sign at the
boundary says 'City', then its really hard to justify anything other than
'City' in OSM, especially in areas like California.

*From a rendering view*: this need not match the tagging.  For California a
relatively simple lookup or a gnis:id, one could pull in census data for
population (either the decennial census or the acs).  The population is
traditionally the key for cartographic prominence.* Amador
City*(population about 150 last I went through) would render smaller
than the *Town
of Apple Valley* (population 70,000).