On 2/1/14 3:59 PM, Sebastian Arcus wrote:

> I have some trouble though with the notion of "village" in the US.
> Looking back to what I know about US (which could be partially wrong),
> I'm not sure they really have the true notion of "village" as per many
> other places in the world. In the US, it always seemed to be about
> isolated farms, and towns. Both from a size point of view, but most
> importantly from a functional point of view. In Europe and other parts
> of the world, the notion of village is steeped in a long history of a
> group of people working the land, and many times being subject to the
> authority of one local land owner. All of that doesn't really exist in
> the US, if my knowledge serves me right. Even the smallest of
> settlements (bigger than a farm) seemed to have started in the US
> around a group of facilities, such as shops, entertainment venues,
> trading facilities etc. - which would directly correspond functionally
> to a town.
Village is something that will vary. in NY, a village is an incorporated
governmental
entity which is much smaller than a city. (all of what follows is NY
specific, by the way).
where as a county in NY (NYC excepted) is completely tiled by cities and
towns, villages
are mostly contained within towns (but some villages do cross town
boundaries.)

in NY, Hamlet is the term used for random place names where there isn't
a corresponding
governmental entity.

richard

--