I didn't look closely at the situation, but what rendered looked more or
less right.

Consider an enforcement relation
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:enforcement>, and also on the
bypass route (the main highway) hgv=no and a maxweight=* tag for which you
don't have to weigh in on the segment between the exit ramp for the scale
and the enterance ramp from the scale.  Drivers for whom this applies will
appreciate the advance warning that they're going to be slowing
significantly or stopping soon (often well before it's posted if you're
using OsmAnd and in a region where mandatory scales tend to lack adequate
official advanced warning, like Oklahoma and BC) but will be able to infer
a legal bypass if the scales are closed (or maybe stop anyway for a break
if they're due).  Either way, it'll give the crew (be it one or two
members) a little more warning to take appropriate action.

Less useful, but still handy for ETA estimation, at well-known locations
that are extremely rarely, if ever, closed, like the Oregon Port of Entry
Scale, Samuel Baldock Freeway, Woodburn, Oregon.