On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Mike N <nice...@att.net> wrote:

> I happened to be near one of these today, and I had to move it about 8
> meters.  REVERT!  (not really, just kidding)
>   My only comment about this import would be that I don't think that it is
> useful to accompany an import with mass notes or FIXMEs.   If someone
> notices that the position is off, they'll correct it or leave a note. In
> this case it wasn't too serious because the number of data points is low,
> but would be more of a problem with a larger dataset.

>From what I've seen the notes have worked really well: better than I could
have hoped.

Every few days someone finds one of those notes, hunts down the tool stand,
and closes the note.  A number of note closers have been beginning
mappers as well: perhaps these notes represent a mapping task that's both
in their area and accessible at their level of mapping comfort.
If the notes have brought a modest number of mappers out of the glow of
their computer screens, and out into the community, that's great.

--
Most of the nodes were pretty close: but the occasional one has moved
pretty far (at least 40 meters).

Every station searched for on the ground has been found, with one
exception.  That station was subsequently deleted from both OSM and the
vendor database at Dero corporation.  The on the ground mapper took
multiple visits to the site, after the company provided more details.  But
it's just not there.

--
Perhaps the notes that remain after a set period (maybe a year) should be
bulk deleted.

I am concerned that some mappers will fix a tool stand location, but never
notice the corresponding note.