Harald Kliems wrote:
> Very nice, Richard! One quick comment: I might not be the only
> who doesn't always change the tiger:reviewed tag when fixing
> TIGER-imported roads. I don't know if that's technically feasible,
> but maybe it would be better to check if a way has been modified
> since import, independent of the tiger:reviewed tag.

Absolutely. I did consider this and it's very feasible - osm2pgsql can tell
you the user who last modified a way, and if it's DaveHansenTiger or
woodpeck-fixbot, you can presume it's unmodified.

Unfortunately, there are way too many false positives. Partly this is
consequential damage (in particular, ways which have been split) but also
bulk edits - for example, in several of states, people have assigned (say)
maxspeed=35mph to all ways matching certain criteria, including dirt tracks
tagged as highway=residential. This means the last editor is no guarantee
that a residential is actually a usable paved road.

After a few experiments (and I've been working on this all year, pretty
much) I concluded that the tiger:reviewed tag is the only way of doing it.
I'd restate that I'm only using this on rural residentials - anything
unclassified or higher, or in an urban area, is assumed ok. Personally I
have F6 assigned as a shortcut key in P2 for highway=unclassified for ease
of quick retagging. :)

cheers
Richard