Hi,

I've seen the new stoplines in San Jose as well, and the reason they're
not useful as-is IMO is because they're not connected to the main road
that has the stop line; it's just a floating disconnected way. If they
were connected to the road, then it would be more useful to data users,
but in their current state, for it to be of use, data users would have
to do some additional processing on their end to find out what way it
intersects to see where it applies.

On 09/19/2017 08:00 AM, Greg Morgan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Vivek Bansal <3viv...@gmail.com
> <mailto:3viv...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hey, I noticed pfliers has added lots of unconnected ways w/
>     `highway=stopline` all over San Jose. It’s really been cluttering
>     up our workflows in iD, and now it’s triggering JOSM’s validator
>     as we’re adding sidewalks. Can we remove them in one big
>     mechanical edit? Even if the concept is good, they’d have to be
>     remapped in order to be useful anyways. Maybe they should be a
>     node along the centerline.  Or instead they should be a road_marking.
>
>     This also affects Phoenix, Arizona.
>
>     Here is a link to pfliers history:
>     https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/pflier/history#map=6/38.882/-117.411
>     <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/pflier/history#map=6/38.882/-117.411>
>
>     Here is pfliers proposal:
>     http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/stop_line
>     <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/stop_line>
>
>     -3vivekb
>
> I noticed the new tagging in Phoenix.  I sent the Keep Right
> maintainer a request that excludes highway=stopline from
> "intersections without junctions" checking.  I do not believe the sky
> is falling.  I don't see how these stoplines would have to be
> remapped.  When we look at the data, all the Phoenix stoplines are
> mapped by traffic lights.  I am not sure how stoplines would impact
> your workflow.  Ignore the Josm validation recommendations for these
> stoplines.  I haven't put a request into Josm maintainers but it is
> certainly something that you can do.
>
> The proposal has something to do with autonomous cars. The stoplines
> may just be perfect for the Phoenix area.
> http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/tech/2017/06/23/arizona-getting-ahead-autonomous-vehicle-industry-stepping-aside-waymo-uber-intel-chevy-bolt/405436001/
>
> https://www.keepright.at/report_map.php?zoom=15&lat=33.51322&lon=-112.06043&layers=B0T&ch=0%2C130%2C191%2C192%2C193%2C194%2C195%2C196%2C197%2C198&show_ign=0&show_tmpign=0

Saikrishna Arcot