> Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 14:51:30 -0600
> From: Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org>
> To: OSM Talk US <talk-us@openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: [Talk-us] Fwd:  Trunk

[...]

This subject was discussed at great length in the Wiki on this page[1],
beginning ten years ago.  No conclusion was reached.  There were basically
three main ways of classifying roads that were proposed:  based on
administrative level, based on physical characteristics, and functional
classification.  It seems these systems are mutually exclusive, so in my
opinion we must agree to adopt one of these classifications as the foundation
of our tagging system (possibly with some agreed-upon exceptions).  Unless we
do that, I believe this discussion will go on forever, because each system has
some merits.

Mark

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:United_States_roads_tagging