On 19/02/2018 22:03, Clifford Snow wrote:
 Can I steal your road styles?

Sure.

BTW - I can't see the difference between a plain residential and a unpaved residential. Unclassified stands right out, but not residential.

That's arguably a bug :)  I added support (downgrading to track) for unpaved unclassified (as visible at https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=16&lat=-24.99447&lon=135.03725 ) and from memory there's support elsewhere for _gravel_ residential; but not unpaved.

For the US, however, you'd want to do something other than just "downgrading to track".  There are a couple of options I suspect:

One is to split unpaved roads out as a separate "road type" altogether (that's how sidewalk and verge are handled as seen at https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=15&lat=-24.99273&lon=135.02137 ).  The other is to have some sort of modifier (like "bridge", but different).  that's how "long fords" and embankments at https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=15&lat=-24.99958&lon=135.0693 are handled.

I use a lua style file https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua to do both of these, but that might not be an acceptable approach to the OSM Standard Style if that's your target (for entirely valid reasons to do with database reload), so you may have to do the selection just in the "project" file and the "roads" files.  With a test such as "unpaved" that should be doable though.

The place to start though is to get a working copy of the style locally.  I tend to use https://switch2osm.org/manually-building-a-tile-server-16-04-2-lts/ for that; if you use Docker already then https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/DOCKER.md is surely going to be easier.

Once you've got some of your own tiles to play around with I'd suggest just experimenting with the various parts in a style (e.g. the "fill", the "casing" and "text") that make up a road (https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/38988 has a bit of info about that, but there have got to be better examples) and seeing what effect various changes have.

Best Regards,
Andy