A brief update:  I have blown the dust off of a relevant wiki,
https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_States_Public_Lands , started over
eight years ago and hardly touched since then.  As originally written, this
addressed federal (admin_level=2) public lands only.  Mainly, it still does,
though my recent "beefing up" of it does begin to edge into state parks
(admin_level=4) also having consensus that boundary=national_park is an
appropriate tag.  As it also mentions that leisure=park (admin_level=8,
largely) is appropriate on "urban" (municipal) parks, it reveals the obvious
hole:  OSM in the USA has yet to tackle the now-difficult question of what to
do on "county parks" (and county beaches, etc.) at admin_level=6.

So, that wiki might be the primary place to discuss, enrich, contribute ideas.
There are links there to the (just born) park:type wiki, which seems that while
it may live on as a "crutch" tagging style (there are thousands of examples in
use), park:type should eventually move towards deprecation as better consensus
emerges.

Please at least read this brief wiki and think about how we might better tag
county parks.

Thanks,
SteveA