On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 10:33 PM OSM Volunteer stevea
<stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:

> I'll try to be brief, but there's a decade of history.  The leisure=park wiki
> recently improved to better state it means "an urban/municipal" park, while
> boundary=national_park (or perhaps leisure=nature_reserve, maybe
> boundary=protected_area) works on large, national (and state or provincial in
> North America) parks.  As the sharper wiki focus means a "city_park" (a
> sometimes-found park:type value, I've written brand new wiki on park:type)
> certainly qualifies as a leisure=park, this leaves county_parks (and their
> ilk, like county_beaches) in a quirky "how best do we tag these now?"
> quandary.

TL;DR - Tag the land use, not the land ownership. A city, town,
county, or state park may be virtually indistinguishable urban green
spots, recreation grounds, nature reserves, whatever. The level of
government that manages them may be of interest and worth tagging, but
ought not to be the primary determinant of 'park type'.

I think that the Wiki definition leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm
groping in a fog, much as you are, so please don't take anything that
I say here as a confrontational pronouncement.

My read on "urban/municipal" is that it describes setting and land
use, rather than the operator. To me a "park" in a
urban/suburban/front-country setting connotes a certain type of
facilities. It will likely have adequate parking, or else access to
public transportation. It will likely have public toilets.

Some are designed as restful spaces within the urban environment. Such
a park may have walking paths, benches, manicured gardens. Or it may
have a part that's allowed to run a little bit wilder, but often in
those cases it will have developed nature trails, perhaps with
placards identifying species or discussing the local ecosystem. They
may have elaborate landscaping, public art works, topiary, and other
features to add visual interest.

They will often have developed picnic facilities, perhaps even with
gazebos or pavilions that can be reserved for parties.

Some parks have further development. It's common to have playgrounds.
Playing fields, swimming pools or beaches, grandstands for spectators
to athetic competitions, and the associated facilities for athletes to
bathe and change clothes are often found. It's not unusual for a park
to have an outdoor theatre or music performance venue. Entertainments
such as carousels or miniature trains are not unheard-of. If a park
has a waterfront, then punts, rowboats, canoes, or pedal-boats may be
among the attractions offered. Concessionaires hawk their wares.

A park on a natural waterbody may well offer a boat launch and docks or quays.

All of these features make for what is essentially a human landscape.
It's one that's designed to be relaxed, focused on being a respite
from the hurly-burly of the city, but it's still relatively densely
developed - with many users concentrated in a relatively small area -
and definitely human-sculpted.

Whether the park is managed by a private conservancy, a city, a
county, a state or province, or a nation doesn't affect this
fundamental character.

A 'national park' typically exists to protect and display some
particularly valuable landscape feature. While more enlightened
management tries to protect the rare species that inhabit such a space
and the rare landforms found therein, what makes national parks so
very popular are the striking viewscapes that can be obtained over
large tracts of undeveloped land. Management will usually try to
concentrate gawkers into a few 'sacrificial' areas, so there will be
paved roads, parking, concessions, campgrounds and the like, and there
will be relatively accessible 'front country' trails, often with staff
conducting interpretive tours.

Beyond that 'front country' development, recreations in national parks
typically are strenuous outdoor pursuits: hiking, mountain biking,
riding of horses or mules, canoeing, fishing and hunting where
allowed, mountaineering, climbing, backcountry skiing. There's a far
greater sense of solitude, and a much greater need for preparedness -
if things go wrong, you're likely to be on your own for quite a while.

Virtually all National Parks in the US (in contradistinction to
National Recreation Area, National Monument, National Historic Site,
National Scenic Trail, National Seashore, and the rest of the zoo of
NPS-managed facilities) have just this sort of structure - a
relatively small, developed 'front country' environment which most
visitors never leave, facing a scenic, wild back country that is
available to more intrepid travelers. Often the backcountry also
partakes of the characteristics of 'nature reserve' in that it is
managed for conservation and research.

It's common for large 'parks' - both National Parks and the large
state and county parks - sometimes to have mixed uses. Many National
Parks, and many state and local facilities near me, have extensive
inholdings - either land in private ownership, or land belonging to
the managing government but leased to private holders. Harriman State
Park, for instance, houses a fair number of quasi-private youth camps
(often targeted at disadvantaged youth from New York City),
campgrounds (for tent camping, caravans, and cabin users), and
developed recreation facilities (with athletic fields, swimming
beaches, changing facilities), all embedded in a fair-sized area of
'back country' that was an industrial wasteland a century ago but has
had the intervening time for Nature to start reclaiming it. While
you'll never be able to avoid the day-trippers, it's entirely possible
to plan a long weekend of trekking in the park that won't leave the
woods. It's actually a favourite area of mine to introduce beginners
to trekking, because it's safe - there's a quick exit to a developed
place from anywhere in the park.

'Nature reserve' covers a lot of things - which is why we augment
nature reserves with boundary=protected_area tagging. It typically
connotes few or no facilities for the support of human visitors. The
Wiki description once assumed that nature reserves would be small
green spaces close to the built environment, but has since been
broadened to describe the way that the tag has actually been used,
particularly in North America, where enormous reserves of undeveloped
land are commonplace. A nature reserve may comprise only a few city
blocks that are intentionally left undeveloped so as to have some
relatively wild green space in the urban environment, or a protected
wilderness of a thousand kmĀ². The protection class and title are
really useful here.

At one side 'nature reserve' also blends into 'forest'. At least near
me, there are 'National Forests', 'State Forests', and 'County
Forests' that share in common the legal fiction that they are managed
to maintain a timber reserve. (The first US National Forests were
created to ensure the US Navy a supply of ships' masts.) Some - not
all - are producing forests. Most, in actual practice, are managed for
wildlife, soil and water conservation, and for the less impactful
outdoor recreation that I already characterized as typical of the
backcountry areas of national parks. They share in common that they
enjoy a lesser degree of protection, typically, than national parks or
nature reserves - IUCN considers them resource-conservation areas.

The name is NOT a reliable indicator here.  In particular, in New
York, Wild Forest is a classification just a shade below Wilderness.
It's not producing forest - in fact, timber production is forbidden on
Wild Forest lands by the state constitution. The difference between it
and Wilderness is mostly that Wild Forest allows more mechanical
recreation - MTB's, snowmobiles, perhaps even ATV's - because it is
deemed capable of supporting slightly more intensive usage. State
Forest is an entirely different kettle of fish. Many are producing
forests, and many others are effectively game reserves.

I think it's a fine idea to have park_level (although given that we're
also talking about nature reserves and forests, that's an unfortunate
name) so that we don't continually confuse the type of resource with
the level of government that manages it. Perhaps in other countries,
the goverment level is more predictive of the resource type, but my
home state of New York has a treasure in its public lands, and next to
no Federal management. (We have nothing titled National Park, and our
other NPS facilities are mostly urban historic sites.) That's largely
because we implemented the idea before the rest of the country, and
Theodore Roosevelt took it with him to Washington.

Then we can actually work on trying to sort out park types - with the
idea that large 'parks', conserved at least in part as showplaces and
tourist destinations, with extensive backcountry, could be
'national_park' irrespective of what level of government supports
them, that 'parks' that exist in an extensively developed state for
intensive use may be 'leisure=park', again irrespective of the level
of government, and that 'parks' with few or no facilities for human
visitors beyond blazed trails, primitive campsites, privies, and the
like are really nature reserves.

The 'type' of park ought to be "what type of experience ought the
visitor to expect" and not "what government manages it."

In my state:

I have much the same sort of experience in the Bennett Hill preserve
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/345643852 - run by a private
conservancy (with a tax abatement from the state), the Niskayuna
public open space https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7393853 - run
by the township, the Plotter Kill Preserve - belonging to the county,
and the undeveloped (and unsigned, except for boundary markers) Mohawk
River State Park https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7393854.
They're all nature reserves. I expect a place to park, and perhaps a
place to sign in and out. I had better bring a trowel if I'm planning
to stay any length of time.

There's a different feel also to be had in, say, the Roundtop Mountain
Unit https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/424227080 - which is one of
about four hundred recreational units *outside* New York City but
owned by the New York City Department of Environmental Protection
(which buys land in that part of the state because its water supply
comes from the rivers there and it wishes to protect the land from
development).  There's a much greater sense of wildness and solitude
there, though, because it's contiguous with the Kaaterskill Wild
Forest (as I mentioned, one level below Wilderness protection)  Unless
you're alert to the survey markers, it's not obvious when you cross
from one parcel to the other. (I speak from personal experience. That
was my jumping-off point for climbing Round Top and [Kaaterskill] High
Peak.) But 'nature_reserve' covers a multitude of different things.

It's a very different sort of experience from Blatnick Park
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7393858 - township, Central
Park https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/65768067 - city, Tawasentha
Park https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/170525817 - county, or Lake
Taghkanic State Park https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6447033 -
all of which I'd happily tag with 'park'. There are ball fields,
picnic areas, playgrounds, gardens, dog parks, concessions.

The sui-generis Adirondack and Catskill Parks are a good fit to
'national_park', as would, say, be the agglomeration of Harriman State
Park with the coterminous Bear Mountain and Sterling Forest, or the
large Fahnestock https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6437616 or
Allegany https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/325822775 parks.  I might
be convinced to put Watkins Glen
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6448362 in that category.  It's
got a large campground, a developed tourist area (the canyon east of
the railroad, where all the spectacular waterfalls are) and then a
backcountry section with a distinctly wild feel, mostly visited by
trekkers on the Finger Lakes Trail. Backcountry camping is allowed, at
least at designated sites.

There's a bit of a similar feel to the state parks surrounding Niagara
Falls - they're all about spectacular natural features - the falls,
the gorge, the whirlpool - but I'm of two minds. The setting is
unquestionably urban, and there's no real 'backcountry' experience
behind the spectacular views.

Bethpage State Park https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6447778 is
a golf course. Robert Moses State Park
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6442393 is a swimming beach. I
see no reason to map them as anything but what they are, except to
inform the user that they're state-owned and run by OPRHP (the Office
of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation).