Hello everyone,

I wanted to get some opinions on how exactly National Forest boundaries
should appear in OSM.

Currently there are 2 ways national forest boundaries appear:

1. As simply the proclamation boundary, the original boundary authorized by
Congress, like Pike National Forest
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/393066#map=9/39.0565/-105.1639>.
This, of course, shows entire towns as protected like a National Forest.

2. A boundary that excludes lands not owned by the Forest Service,
therefore, only includes the land actually under the protection of the
National Forest. See Coconino National Forest.
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/10956348>

The USFS describes it as such:

> “External boundary” refers to the perimeter boundaries of a national
> forest or grassland. In some cases, this boundary is also referred to as a
> “proclamation” boundary, or the outer boundary within which Congress
> authorized a particular national forest to be established.“Internal
> boundaries” are those boundaries located within the external boundaries
> that distinguish National Forest System lands from other lands (often
> referred to as inholdings).

Which one would be better? Looking forward to feedback.

Paul