I think we need both as well.  I've been doing this while watching the
evolution of how we best do this as I participate in a "do our best, always
better" efforts to accomplish this.  Even now!

The idea of the first kind is simply a relation with a focus on the / a polygon
with the outer (-most) membership.  The idea of the second kind is one of these
plus a carefully crafted inner membership, often made up of a complex inholding
distribution containing many sometimes complex themselves inner polygons.

The idea of "both" (in my mind, maybe Mike's too) is that "a good outer is a
good outer."  We ARE building multipolygons and they are big complex beasts
around here.  And we cannot let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  Are you
willing to "take on" the responsibility of entering a sane (for 2020) relation
with "simply" a single outer polygon as member of an emerging multipolygon
relation representing the national forest?  Hey, tag it well and hang it up for
others to add richer complexity with inner members.  This is (sometimes) how we
build this map.  (I have offered my efforts for a decade).

I believe we want to tag these with protected_area, whereas we did, but no
longer, "automatically" double-tag these with natural=wood, as landuse
(national protected area we manage with our Forest Service, doesn't mean it's a
forest) is not landcover.  As we're talking about the US, I recommend our wiki
https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/United_States/Public_lands.

That wiki is what might be called "heavier lifting" in how we use a wiki.  Part
of it intends to be prescriptive, saying "here's how we might very-well tag in
the USA on public lands, and if we don't, we should" (as an ideal, at least as
it shapes with sharper focus). Where it dissolves into "how each state does
this today," it's a DEscriptive canvas of wet paint.  Heavy lifting, yes, but
we can do this.  That wiki might nudge things forward, I put my shoulder into
this.  At the federal level (which National Forests are), it does (to me) feel
like a nice ideal with fairly-well-defined recommended tagging.  Discuss there?

How do what we enter render?  That's another topic.  Let's begin saying "we
can, do and should enter into OSM well-tagged outer-member (only, to begin
with) multipolygon relations representing national forests."  With  "perfect,
rich structure?"  Every single first draft?  Let's talk in a week or month,
these might take some work and discussion and work and discussion to do them.
That's OK.  Earth wasn't built in a day.

SteveA