I agree on the tagging points, my comment on mapmakers was a response to
the claim that maps show the world as it is. By definition, maps are only
symbols. Those symbols can get extremely complex but they remain an
approximation of the real world. OSM should always strive to reflect what
is observable on the ground, whether those facts are embarrassing for some
or otherwise, but I personally find the symbolic and subjective nature of
maps fascinating =)

The viewpoint question is tricky. There are a lot of official viewpoints
with signage on popular drives and hikes. It would limit the subjectivity
of the tag if signage was the only consideration. I can understand wanting
to add others that aren't official, although those are sometimes only
accessible by wandering off of a trail (which is something I don't think
OSM should support, it's a big enough problem already).

I think there are other resources out there for people who are interested
in getting the best views they can, official trails be damned, so I lean
towards only including viewpoints that are accessible by established
trails/roads. Otherwise, people like me who use OSM for hiking trails,
might end up contributing to the degradation of the places we visit.

--
Brian