Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
> Can we finally fix two other longstanding problems, then?
>
> 1. The wiki being incorrect about not counting bicycle lanes.  That's not
> reflective of how validators deal with lanes, how data consumers like Osmand
> or Magic Earth deal with lanes, or how ground truth works.  The whole "but
> you can't fit a motor vehicle down it" argument is facile, that's what
> access:lanes=* and width:lanes=* is for.

If it truly is the wiki that needs fixing, I'm all for fixing the wiki here.
Is there some reason the relatively low bar of making a change to the wiki
hasn't been done yet?

> 2. Tagging route information on ways.  It's about a decade too long at this
> point for ref=* on a way to be completely disconnected from the entity the
> tag applies to:  That's why route relations exist.  Biggest problem child on
> this at the moment:  OSM's own tilesets.  Let's drop rendering for ref=* on
> ways and just render the route relations already, this and multipolygons are
> why relations came to exist in the first place.

Yes, 100% agreement.  I think this is simply pure inertia (the kind that says
"broken process") on the part of renderers.

Can anybody (renderer authors included, maybe even especially) are welcome to
offer reasons why "the old machinery" remains in place?  Are there legacy use
cases that remain unclear to the wider community?  Please tell us here, if so.

While I still find murky and mysterious exactly "how" to effect change in
renderers (who you gonna call?), my two best efforts along these lines are to
"tag well" and "wiki well."  (And that can include a great deal of discussion
and consensus building on its own, no doubt).  Eventually, (and I've discovered
it can take years), renderers do catch up.

SteveA