Sep 23, 2020, 23:37 by stevea...@softworkers.com:

> Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
>> Can we finally fix two other longstanding problems, then?
>>
>> 1. The wiki being incorrect about not counting bicycle lanes.  That's not
>> reflective of how validators deal with lanes, how data consumers like Osmand
>> or Magic Earth deal with lanes, or how ground truth works.  The whole "but
>> you can't fit a motor vehicle down it" argument is facile, that's what
>> access:lanes=* and width:lanes=* is for.
>>

> If it truly is the wiki that needs fixing, I'm all for fixing the wiki here.
> Is there some reason the relatively low bar of making a change to the wiki
> hasn't been done yet?
>
>> 2. Tagging route information on ways.  It's about a decade too long at this
>> point for ref=* on a way to be completely disconnected from the entity the
>> tag applies to:  That's why route relations exist.  Biggest problem child on
>> this at the moment:  OSM's own tilesets.  Let's drop rendering for ref=* on
>> ways and just render the route relations already, this and multipolygons are
>> why relations came to exist in the first place.
>>

> Yes, 100% agreement.  I think this is simply pure inertia (the kind that says
> "broken process") on the part of renderers.
>
> Can anybody (renderer authors included, maybe even especially) are welcome to
> offer reasons why "the old machinery" remains in place?

in case of OSM Carto: see
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/596 -
no one implemented it

(if you are unable to implement it, feel free to upvote original report to
express desire for it,
but please do not make "+1"/"implement pls" on the issue tracker)

> While I still find murky and mysterious exactly "how" to effect change in
> renderers (who you gonna call?),

The most effective  way is to implement them (I wanted names of bus stops, I
proposed it
in https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/195 and
implemented it
after it was clear that it would be accepted - now since 2014 bus stops in
default map style are
displaying names, I did similar with rendering of bridge areas and other issues
then I become
inactive after fixing all thing that were important to me and relatively easy
compared to their
importance).

You can also test submitted pull requests (
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pulls )
and express your opinions about this new changes.

You can also comment on new tickets, especially if some ideas are problematic.

You can also report issues or upvote reported issues, though it has smaller
impact.

You can also implement your own rendering style and run it.

You can also hire someone to do stuff listed above (not sure whatever it ever
happened,
it should be probably disclosed if someone is getting paid to make some
specific pull
requests and there is no guarantee that change would be accepted by maintainers)

> my two best efforts along these lines are to "tag well" and "wiki well."
> (And that can include a great deal of discussion and consensus building on
> its own, no doubt).  Eventually, (and I've discovered it can take years),
> renderers do catch up.

And also this - say man_made=bridge rendering was possible because there
was substantial use and good tagging proposal. It would not be added otherwise.