Clifford,

If I'm going to name names, I may as well include a few relevant links, too.

The editor in question is "floridaeditor"
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/floridaeditor and he has a diary
entry about what he's doing (in addition to what he has on his profile
page about it).  He changed *every single* trunk road in Georgia to
primary, and from what I can tell, in Florida, too.  I haven't yet
expanded my examination into other states yet.

One example changeset comment can be found here:
Another (where he reverted someone's reversal of his edits) is:

I myself haven't added any comments to some of his changesets yet
because of his borderline belligerent attitude in his remarks.  He
essentially sets himself up as the judge and jury about whether or not
he will "accept" any requests for a change back to trunk.  A few other
people have (one of whom did so in a less than helpful manner, even
though he's local and from what I can tell, should likely be familiar
with the roads in question), but I'm just being an observer on that
for now.

I'm on Slack, and I originally posted a comment about this editor on
some roads in Florida (that I'm familiar with), but the responses I
saw seemed to be somewhat "meh" so I didn't pursue it.  If there's
another thread about it there, I'd love to read it, because (1) I
missed it, and (2) if it's about the same person, y'all weren't very
successful in reverting the changes.

--jack