On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:42 AM Jack Burke <burke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, September 28, 2020, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 8:35 PM Jack Burke <burke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Recently, someone has taken it on himself to downgrade most (all?)
>>> highway=trunk roads in the eastern U.S. to just primary.  The odd
>>> thing is that the very wiki page he cites as his reason fully supports
>>> keeping them as trunk.  Many of them I'm personally familiar with, and
>>> even absent the wiki's definition, they actually make more sense as
>>> trunk from a driving perspective.
>>

>> The wiki's pretty inconsistent but the generally accepted standard is
>> "it'd be a motorway if it didn't have intersections" or "it'd be a motorway
>> if it was dual carriageway".  I think some context would help.
>>

> How about a pair of highways that "would be motorways if they didn't have
> intersections" for context?
>
> Georgia 400 is a grade-separated, divided, high-speed freeway from its
> southern endpoint at I 85, all the way to where it meets GA 369 near Coal
> Mountain, 37 miles later. From there, it's an at-grade, divided, high-speed
> (mostly 65mph, with short sections of 55mph in denser areas) highway with
> extremely long straight sections and other sections with high-speed curves,
> until it ends at GA 60 just outside Dahlonega, 16 miles past Coal Mountain.

Yeah, not looking very hard at this so don't know if I missed any at-grade
intersections looking at Maxar/Mapbox. I'd call that a motorway pretty
solidly from I 85 to GA 306 and a trunk north of that to GA 60.  Looks like
it turns into GA 115 at GA 60, didn't trace that further but I'd call GA 60
a secondary.

> GA 515 begins life where I 575 ends, at Ball Ground. From there, it is a
> grade-separated, divided, high-speed (mostly 65mph, with a few sections of
> 55mph, and a couple of 45mph when it passes through Ellijay and Blue Ridge)
> freeway that travels north to Blue Ridge, almost at the Tennessee border,
> where it arcs eastward and continues to Blairsville.  That's 63 miles of
> divided high-speed goodness. There it finally becomes an undivided highway
> that continues on to Young Harris, "ending" a few miles past there. GA 515
> was upgraded to its dual-carriageway status about 30 years ago as part of
> the Appalachian development highway program.

Looking at the same imagery as above, yeah, I'd call I 575 a trunk north of
Howell Bridge Road and GA 515 a trunk from I 575 until the south end of
Blue Ridge, where the single carriageway through town is primary (it stops
being an expressway and becomes a boulevard for a bit), and then picks back
up as trunk on the north end of town before going primary again at
Blairsville.

> All of these, and others, were highway=trunk until floridaeditor decided
> to downgrade them (and challenge anyone to change them back)

So far it seems like floridaeditor is the exact opposite of NE2 (who
smashed everything in network=US:US to highway=trunk even if it's not an
expressway or super-two freeway, something we're *still* cleaning up
particularly in the midwest and Texas).  Given NE2 was also in Flordia, I
wouldn't rule out it's the same person.