Thanks David & Nic for your suggestions.

I find this whole tagging thing very complicated. I've tried your
suggestions at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-33.834918&lon=18.593645&zoom=18 but when
just viewing the map, nothing appears at all. Is this because there is no
icon associated with amenity=winery, hence the suggestion about the entry at
trac?

That whole trac thing looks way beyond me at the moment though.

Could you possibly look at what I've done and see if it's right before I add
any more?

Having read the "don't tag for the renderer" thread, I fully understand your
reservations about using the amenity=bar tag. Pity though, as the icon is
almost right! It fascinates me that there isn't an icon for a wine farm
anywhere in the world - not even France, Germany or California shows one.

Bryan