I wish to add one very accessible sound editing program to Steve's
comprehensive and quite meaningful and thorough discussion. That is
studio recorder from APH.
That one is  completely accessible, including making sounds for overload
in it's "clipping when overload" occurs for your input sound. All it
does not have is any kind of noise reduction like Sound Forge, Gold
Wave, Audacity, and others but it is intended for the spoken word,
though certainly you can record and edit music with it just as easily.
Lately there are new and fantastic scripts written for Sound Forge pro
v11, but there we're talking about an expensive package.
Studio Recorder is, $200.

---