Steve,

Those of us who saw earlier prototypes of the Orbit braille display product
are not sure how well it will perform in environments where one is editing
and the only characters that are changing are the dots that show the cursor.
For many, the absence of cursor routing keys is also a significant
disadvantage as you have already stated.  Some have said that the display is
very flexible and could be the basis of a display with more features but
still priced lower than what we have come to expect.  Time will tell on how
that shakes out.

Clearly, this display will work very well in situations where the main
function is reading.  If a version of this display is distributed free to
customers of our National Library Service as are machines for reading audio,
it would really have an impact.  If it works as well as Josh describes in
editing situations, the disadvantage of no cursor routing keys might be
easier to overlook.  It would require some getting used to, though, by those
of us using displays with that feature.  Some of these questions won't have
answers until we see the final product and know which display drivers will
be used for sure.  Still, it will almost certainly make braille easier to
afford, but it may not eliminate the need for the higher priced displays for
many of us.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson