Yes. Isn't that called cursor tracking? My first braille display was a keybraille that I had with my dos computer I used on my job. It could only produce computer braille, and there was no such thing as cursor routing. I made all my corrections on the computer. My first braille lite didn't have it either, but you used key strokes to bring the cursor to where you needed it to be to correct the mistake. Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: David via Talk
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:03 AM
To: Rod Hutton ; Window-Eyes Discussion List ; Chris G
Subject: Re: braille displays and we

Many of the listers may never remember the "old days" in the assistive
world. But for those of us who does, I for one can still remember the
days when no Braille display had cursor routing capabilities. I can
assure you it is not totally necessary, though quite handy, to have this
functionality.

As for the user who asked how to fetch the cursor, in the middle of a 15
page document, I am not totally sure I get the point in the query. And,
it's been a while since I had a Braille display attached to my WinEyes
machine, so forebare please with me, should my memory fail. Usually,
when moving the Braille display, you could set it to "pull" the cursor
along. At least, that used to be the case in other screen readers.
Meaning, if you move the Braille display to next line, the cursor on the
screen also would move down one line in the document. Now, should you
find something to correct on that line, you would just have to use the
arrows on the computer keyboard to direct the cursor to the correct
position.

Alternatively, instead of moving the Braille Display line by line, you
would set it to follow the cursor, and then do all your moving directly
with the computer arrows. That way, you definitely would have the cursor
handy - at the same line as the display - at any given time. Sure, you
would have to move your hand up on the main keyboard for the next line,
but that simply is a matter of habit. With a small display of something
like 20-30 cells, you might even be better off in doing the reading
altogether with one hand, leaving the other on the arrows of your main
keyboard, thereby eliminating all issues of cursor redirection.

As for how to operate the mouse, by using the braille display - like
when you can click one of the cursor routing keys and have it act as a
mouse-click - I am not sure how they solve this on modern displays
without the cursor-routing keys. My experience with this kind of
displays run way back in the DOS days, when a mouse still had four legs,
peeped, and ran into the nearest hole in the wall when it heard any
mention of a cat. Hence, the issue of operating such a pet on the
computer screen for a blind person, would still be several years ahead
in time. Smiles.

Well, have we all been a bit nostalgic through the years? :D

David