Hi Brenda,

I haven't felt the need to spend any money on JFW, and so my screen readers for
Windows are Window-Eyes, NVDA and Narrator.
One thing I have found is that Narrator is the best screen reader of the three
for configuring settings within Windows 10 since the combination of scan mode
on and off are both necessary to navigate and configure the settings screens.
As for configuring the OneDrive desktop app, which I really rely on for my
online backups, this can only be done using Narrator.
Window-Eyes just crashes within OneDrive's settings.
Again, here is another example of Narrator working best for Windows settings
and technical apps.
I think the reason why Window-Eyes crashes and Narrator doesn't is that Windows
is being designed using web interfaces and Narrator seems to be at home with
these and Window-Eyes struggles to load and speak them.
As for web work, using Firefox and Google Chrome, Window-Eyes is still good
enough, along with NVDA, but only the latter rarely.
As for most other tasks, Window-Eyes still serves me well enough.
This includes all of Office, namely, Outlook, Word and Exel, and here I'm
referring to the Office 365 versions of each.
I work a lot with Winamp, and occasionally Goldwave, as well as other smaller
audio utilities for splitting, joining and tagging mp3s, and for these
Window-Eyes is fine.
Interestingly, I use VMWare Workstation to run windows 7 and 10 virtual
machines, and Window-Eyes has no problems speaking all the screens necessary
for managing these, even allowing the use of the mouse pointer where the
traditional dialog navigation is insufficient.
Of course, Narrator works here as well. Smile
Well, I guess I could go on and on.
Suffice to say that Narrator is a true workhorse necessary to manage Windows,
but, in its present form, it may not be up to the challenge of tracking the
specific controls for the apps we got used to using, like email software, where
scripts were designed to aid productivity.
Script support is promised for Narrator in the near future, and we'll see what
it offers down the road.

Hth,

Rod

Sent from Outlook for Windows