David Groom wrote:
I'll edit the wiki.

Could you put some visual examples, please?

Artem, what i had in mind is now shown on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations/Proposed/Rivers

David G

I'm a bit late in entering this discussion, but at the first glance I see at least one problem with this proposal: representing tributaries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strahler_Stream_Order), which must be treated separately, since their usually have their own names. Either you would have to define an OSM way splitting the main river and the tributary (which in a sense defeats the idea of this proposal) or you would let the renderer assume that it can draw such a segment by itself (which can sometimes be problematic, I suppose).
I'm not against letting renderers do their jobs, but I think we should not presume that all devices will have CPUs powerful enough to provide interactive maps by processing complex geometry algorithms. Drawing something like this, for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mouths_of_amazon_geocover_1990.png :)

Igor

--
http://igorbrejc.net