The proposed tag waterway = river,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Large_rivers , has
been at proposal stage for over 18 months, which seems far too long for a
tag which represents such an important feature.

The main problem area seems to be that some people do not like the current
proposal whereby a river is divided up in to separate closed areas.  The
reason being that the "segment" crossing the river to close the area marks a
boundary which does not actually exist.  Discussion on this could go on
indefinitely, but it does really need a Mapnik "expert" to either (i) see if
there is a way that Mapnik can render areas which are not closed (ie.
comprised of two parallel ways), or (ii) if this is not , and will never be,
possible then to state that fact , and we can then have a tag proposal which
will render in both Mapnik and [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The main issue in practice is we now have no standard way of tagging rivers,
and people are relatively free to do what they like, with the result that
large portions of the River Thames disappeared from the Mapnik layer
recently
http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=51.49&lon=0.41&zoom=11&layers=0000F0B0F

David