> Contours layer presented by openpistemap is simply great. Does it
> exist a server publishing only this layer?

I'm not sure how that would work - you really need the contours data set
to be the bottom layer, with the normal layers on top of that (is it
possible to ask OpenLayers to render the OSM Mapnik tiles on top of
another layer?  I suspect not since the tiles aren't transparent...)

OpenPisteMap only has contours data for specific areas because
the data set is pretty enormous (I did try converting the whole SRTM3 data
set to shapefiles - I gave up by the time it had done about 3/4 of Eurasia
and sucked up over 100 gig of disk space.  I haven't tried pulling the
whole data set into PostGIS yet - I wonder if that is any more efficient).

Another consideration is that the contours tiles have to be tailored to
the map type a bit - for example, the cycle map renders the contours
closer together (i.e. it introduces each set of contour lines at lower
zoom levels than the piste map).  The mountainous terrain of the pistes
results in unreadably close contour lines if you just try to apply the
cycle map styles.

> I'm working on Viking, a desktop GPS data editor capable of rendering
> data on top of image downloaded on line. Having a contours layer would
> be usefull to prepare hicking.

For that kind of application, it might be better to implement an API to
retrieve the contour shapes from an online database and render them
on-the-fly in the application.  That would allow the user to tune the
settings to suit the terrain.

  - Steve
    xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.nexusuk.org/