Just a quick follow-up with some numbers for disk space usage for those
interested.  I had a go at importing 10 metre contour lines for the whole
of Eurasia into PostGIS - latitudes of 0 - 46 degrees North required about
110 gig of disk space for the Postgres table and amounted to around 105
million contour lines.  (I stopped it at this point before I ran out of
space :) - the SRTM3 data set extends up to 60 degrees North).

0-46N across Eurasia amounts to 3244 1x1 degree tiles.  So this averages
you around 35MB of disk space to import a 1x1 degree tile into PostGIS
(obviously dependent on the terrain the tile covers), giving rough
estimated numbers of:

  * Africa:     111 GB  (3250 tiles)
  * Australia:  36 GB   (1060 tiles)
  * Eurasia:    202 GB  (5902 tiles)
  * Islands:    5 GB    (141 tiles)
  * N America:  82 GB   (2412 tiles)
  * S America:  62 GB   (1807 tiles)
  * WHOLE WORLD:        498 GB  (14572 tiles)

So with half a terabyte of disk you can import the whole lot...  There is
also the higher resolution SRTM1 data set covering North America - I'm not
clear on how using those data would affect these numbers - probably not
much since you'll probably have roughly the same number of contour lines,
they will just be positioned more accurately.

  - Steve
    xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.nexusuk.org/