On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Steve Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   * Africa:     111 GB  (3250 tiles)
>   * Australia:  36 GB   (1060 tiles)
>   * Eurasia:    202 GB  (5902 tiles)
>   * Islands:    5 GB    (141 tiles)
>   * N America:  82 GB   (2412 tiles)
>   * S America:  62 GB   (1807 tiles)
>   * WHOLE WORLD:        498 GB  (14572 tiles)

Cool. I'll not be trying that any time soon :-)

>  So with half a terabyte of disk you can import the whole lot...  There is
>  also the higher resolution SRTM1 data set covering North America - I'm not
>  clear on how using those data would affect these numbers - probably not
>  much since you'll probably have roughly the same number of contour lines,
>  they will just be positioned more accurately.

Not quite - a curved contour 1000m long will have three times as many
nodes on it using SRTM1, so the dataset will be much larger again.
It's not only that it's more accurate but since there's less
extrapolation there will be more points on each polyline.

Cheers,
Andy