Gervase Markham wrote:
| [I'm afraid this might be a bit of a complaint without a solution, as I
| don't have the necessary wiki skills to fix this. But I hope someone
| else does.]
|
| The admin involved in proposing and approving tags, in terms of the wiki
| changes required, is far too heavyweight. (Note: I'm _not_ complaining
| about the voting system, only the admin required.) In order to mark two
| new values as approved, I had to:
|
| - Remove each one from Proposed Features
| - Add them back to Approved Features
| - Edit the relevant Map_Features sub-template to add a new line for each
| - Create a new page for each tag, explaining what it does (which
| duplicates data on the individual Proposal page)
|
| Each of these editing operations is tricky because you have to fill in
| various fields in various templates which are far from obvious as to
| their function.
|
| Here's the way it would work in an ideal world:
|
| - Cut the relevant table line out of Proposed_Features and add it to
| Map_Features
| - Er...
| - That's it.
|
| This would require:
| - Proposed_Features and Map_Features to have compatible templates.
| - Writing proposals in a style as if they were accepted, which is fine.
| (Unaccepted proposals would be automagically marked with "this proposal
| is not yet official.)
| - Creating all tag explanation pages in the same namespace, rather than
| Proposed_features/Foo and Map_Features/Foo.
|
| Does anyone else see what I'm driving at?

If we are thinking of revamping this, can I make a request for better
integration with Tagwatch?
http://etricceline.de/osm/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

So tags would have their own pages, keys would have their own pages, and
the human and machine readable list of all approved tags (i.e. Map
Features) would be generated periodically by tagwatch (or some clever
mediawiki feature).

Also run tagwatch on OSM's servers, perhaps on virtual domain
tagwatch.openstreetmap.org.

Robert (Jamie) Munro