Talking as a new comer I haven't experienced any long drawn out tag
approval process, however I would comment that the whole point of OSM is
that you can tag any way you like (or as much as you like).

The main point is that the renderer won't know how to use the odd-ball
tags. So in reality it is the people writing the (official) renderer code
who decide which 'official' tags OSM is going to support.

Also regarding automatically replacing tags, some notice should be given
to the 'owner' of the way/node. I'd be mighty pissed if someone did a
global search/replace of a tag which broke my custom render code
overnight.

Mungewell.